Lakewood Ranch, Florida, area patients who want to achieve and maintain good oral hygiene will want to speak to their dentist. Dr. Allison Konick and her team at Kind Smiles Dental Health educate individuals on how to reduce the risk of problems such as disease and tooth decay. With the help of her friendly office team, you can educate yourself further on tips and recommendations that will keep you smiling for many years to come!
What are some good oral hygiene tips from your dentist?
Dr. Allison Konick is pleased to educate patients on how to care for their smiles. If you are wondering what you can do between appointments to keep your smile free from cavities and periodontal disease, continue reading our recommendations from the Kind Smiles Dental Health team.
- Brush twice daily for at least two minutes with a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. Make sure to reach the back teeth, your tongue, and the gums
- Floss every day using an 18-inch length of floss, winding it around your middle fingers. Gently rub the floss between each tooth in an up-and-down motion to remove plaque buildup and debris. Dr. Konick recommends flossing BEFORE you brush, to remove plaque and debris before the fluoride toothpaste is applied to your teeth. That way, it will have an easier time to access those areas that are prone to trapping food and plaque.
- Use a mouthwash at least once daily to kill bacteria that can lead to gum disease and bad breath. Consider using therapeutic mouthwash, which can help reduce inflammation while killing bacteria. There are also mouthwashes designed for patients with specific needs, including those with sensitive teeth or halitosis
- Protect your teeth from damage by wearing a sports guard or mouthguard when playing contact sports. These can be custom-made in our dental office or purchased over the counter, specifically if you are seeking boil-and-bite guards
- Limit snacking and sugary drinks, as sugar can cause tooth decay. If you do snack, choose healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, and be sure to brush and floss immediately after to avoid sugars and acids remaining on the tooth enamel
- Keep up with regular dental appointments every six months to maintain optimal oral health and catch any potential problems early. These visits include an evaluation with Dr. Allison Konick and a cleaning by our dental hygienists
- Call Dr. Allison Konick between visits if problems develop. If you notice changes in the alignment of the smile, recession of gum tissue along the gum line, pain, and discomfort in one or more teeth, or experience any trauma or injury to the smile, you must contact Kind Smiles Dental Health for an additional appointment. During this time, our team can assess your smile and provide treatment as soon as possible to avoid further damage or problems
Following these simple tips and recommendations can help keep your smile healthy for life! This will ensure that your teeth and gums will function well into your senior years.
Are you interested in learning more about caring for your smile?
Call Dr. Allison Konick and her team at Kind Smiles Dental Health of Lakewood Ranch, FL. The office can be reached by phone at (941) 253-5565 to request an appointment.
We are also open to new patients and are excited to meet you!
Share this Article